Top 5 Things To Do This Summer
1. Vans Warped Tour: The Vans Warped Tour is an annual traveling music festival featuring many of the major modern rock bands of today. A percentage of the ticket income as well as the canned goods collected as payment, go to the Feed Our Kids Now foundation, helping to feed homeless children all across the nation. On August 2, over 100+ bands travel to the Metroplex to rock! Tickets are on sale now for prices as low as $10 through Ticketmaster.com.
2. Lucky Layla Farms in Plano, will continue to offer its award-winning fresh cheeses and milks throughout the summer. Tours are availble of the farm, and the country store is open 9 am – 6 pm every day, except Sunday. Surprise your mom with something that’s made locally and is delicious
3. Wylie Jubilee Bluegrass on Ballard: The Wylie Merchants Association presents Bluegrass on Ballard. Beginning on July 6th at 10:00 a.m., the event consists of music, a chili cook-off, a car show and various arts and crafts in the Olde’ City Park.
4. Luminarte Gallery Presents Fantastic Realism: The phenomenal, dreamlike artwork highlighted in this exhibition depict the evolution of an intellectual and imaginative artist movement by both local and international artists. This gallery is open to the public and this exhibit is free! The museum is located in downtown Dallas, so take the DART train and make a day of it.
5. On a limited budget but don’t want to stay at home? The DART train takes anyone from Garland to Dallas for just a few dollars. You can stop at Mockingbird station and catch an independent movie at the Angelika Theatre.
Reporters Choice: Personally I would love to go to the Luminarte Gallery’s presentation of Fantastic Realism. I have always been interested, and somewhat involved, in Dallas’s local art culture, and would love to have the chance to see the various styles and works of differing artist in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.